Friday, August 24, 2007

Words & Sounds, Post 4


Thanks to RollingOut.com, I snagged a great poem from Jill Scott's poetry book entitled The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours.

I have been wavering about getting this book of poetry for a long time, and I think I'm just going to have to pick it up soon so I can experience even more of Jill Scott. There is just something about sitting around reading poetry that doesn't really appeal to me. I think I've been spoiled by Jill's incredible vocals!

For some reason I find it better to listen to the melodic flow of Jill's voice than to read her words and attempt to hear how she would do it. Who knows? Maybe when I buy the collection I'll appreciate it more.... I guess time will tell.

But, honestly, the soul Jill pours into every one of her works is really a gift from God. She just has so much to offer and in so many different mediums; like her poetry, her music, her spoken word, her videos. What a true artist!

<<
Music
It is the sad song
the good fight
It is the means of salvation
That instant embrace
The pungent chord
The public sexiness in the key
It is that rapture
That demanding emancipation
the baby crying
that angry pulse
the rolling of the eyes
the brick being thrown
the loud and silent middle finger
It is stating
how we feel
what we do
how we fight
the scars we wear
the violence unseen
the blacks
the purples
the pinks
the green
It is magic without the wand
Without the hat or the suspended lady
It lives
Passing from fingers
To pen
From mouth
to altar
it is
Life
>>

No comments: